Drupal 7.x is the platform we use to build great websites. There are modules that allow the ability to update a progress meter when uploading a file. This requires installing a PECL extension to PHP called uploadprogress. Here is the process I used to get it working on a 1and1.com hosting package. You will need a hosting package with ssh support currently the Business and Developer packages do.
- Download PECL uploadaccess to your 1&1 account
- Extract the package
tar xvzf uploadprogress-220.127.116.11.tgz
- Go into the directory
- Run phpize5.5
- Change php-config to php-config5.5 in configure script
sed -i 's/=php-config/=php-config5.5/g' configure
- Run Configure
- Change include directives in Makefile
sed -i 's#-I/usr/include/php#-I/usr/include/php5.5#g' Makefile
- Run make and make test
- Make new extensions folder for new extension to go in
- Copy uploadprogress extension to new folder
cp .libs/uploadprogress.so ~/extensions/
- Create new php.ini under your main folder (or under a single subfolder for just that application) to add new extension_dir then add this code to the file
That should be it. You should now be able to see the “Upload progress Enabled (PECL uploadprogress)” on the admin/reports/status page in Drupal.
Links that helped me with the above info:
This is an update from the original Drupal 6 article. (http://jheslop.com/2009/05/27/adding-pecl-uploadprogress-to-11-shared-hosting-for-drupal-filefield/) Just thought I would pass along as it was a little different that the previous article.