Well I finally got my Epson Perfection 3170 working in Gentoo Linux with the epkowa drivers version 1.10.0-3.
I recieved this scanner for my birthday on March 9, 2004 and am now just getting it working in October 5, 2004! Talk about procrastinating on my part 🙂 It’s not like I didn’t try though. Any on to the goodies… click read more—>
Well I used alot of knowledge from the last time I tried to get this going, but here is what I did this time:
1) Download iscan rpm from epkowa site(http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/index.html):
2) Use the rpm2targz to turn the rpm into a tar.gz file:
3) Become root and cd into /:
4) Extract the tar.gz into the root of your system:
tar xvzf /tmp/iscan-1.10.0-3.i386.tar.gz
5) Make sure you have libsane installed:
emerge -uDv media-gfx/sane-backends
6) Change pointers to libsane:
mv libsane.so libsane.so.old
mv libsane.so.1 libsane.so.1.old
ln -sf sane/libsane-epkowa.so libsane.so
ln -sf sane/libsane-epkowa.so libsane.so.1
7) Then I had to add my scanners id into the /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf file.
I replaced the usb line with this one:
usb 0x04b8 0x0116
8) Try out iscan to see if it worked:
If so great! I also found a good utility called vuescan here: http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html
It has color profiling and is worth the few dollars to register.